Well often the topic of Mindset comes up with my yoga + meditation students and coaching clients... But what is a Positive Mindset really? How do we cultivate it? For me it really was a practice of learned optimism that taken decades to fine tune -- having inherited the glass is always 1/2 empty mindset from my parents, forced me at a young age when I was under alot of stress in University to look at: How is this not serving me any longer? Who is that voice ? And who would I be without it?
So over the years through my own journey and practices of yoga, meditation and Holistic Interior Design I came across lots of amazing teachers, books and tools on my quest to cultivate a "Beginners Mind" as we call it in Meditation and to work on cleaning up my toxic thoughts...after all "Your thoughts create your words create your actions?
AHA i think he was referring to mindset!
"Watch your thoughts, they become words; watch your words, they become actions; watch your actions, they become habits; watch your habits, they become character; watch your character, for it becomes your destiny."
-- Lao Tzu
Consider the following for Cultivating a Positive Mindset:
1) Healthy got flora - Yes! i know this sounds crazy, with all the talk about the stomach being your 2nd brain, this is a good place to start and focus your energy and this should be a cornerstone for building your health around. Check out this amazing cancer survivor Nutrition Coach Stacy Davis at flavorfulnutrition.com
2) Good Exercise - At least enough to get your heart rate up, I'm not talking a gentle walk in the park. In order to increase heart rate you need to move your body, dance, swim, weights etc. find things you enjoy, heck I even got into hula hooping one year after a car accident, so get creative!
3) Destress - This is key! Stress can cause of dis - ease in the body. Work on managing your stress, this takes some knowledge and awareness to change old habits and ways of doing. Take a yoga class online with me or listen to one of my guided meditations to get you more focused on training the brain toward relaxation. The time you invest will be rewarding.
4) Good sleep - Get plenty of restful sleep. I'm talking high quality, this is really crucial. This is where your bedroom design also comes in, I talk about this in my 1-1 Coaching, setting up your space in a healthy non-toxic manner, organic mattress and bedding, with black out curtains or eye masks etc etc to make your bedroom a sanctuary for rest!
5) Positive Affirmations - I am a big fan of positive affirmations ( Louise Hay was one of my first teachers for this). I love to custom create them with my clients. Often when you start the affirmation seems like a lie until you repeat it over and over until eventually it becomes a part of your new language and belief system. ( It is important to clear old though patterns and beliefs that may be layered underneath I often use EFT and tapping as well as clearing and smudging as needed)
6) EFT - Tapping - This is a great technique I practice on my own and with others to work on the negative thoughts while tapping through the meridians in the body to reset the nervous system and I find it very calming as well as shifting mindset more easily. Check out this video.
7) Guided Meditations + Breathing - These helped me alot in my own health journey as well as overcoming cancer to calm my mind and relax my body, I love it so much i recorded my own cd!
8) Radically Shift your Routine - I noticed by breaking my daily routine and interrupt old patterns new one can be formed, that's why I love travelling I find I'm much more spontaneous and open to following the flow! Add in things that bring you pleasure and enjoyment. Hey why not have some fun! Instill a new way of exploring your day!
9) Reduce LED lights and screen time a few hours before bed to let your body get ready for sleep. Its also good to do some digital detox days. I used to host regular weekend detox retreats ( no devices!) LOL
10) High Vibes - Last but not least I would say: "Increase the vibration in your life" with positive actions, and giving to others and being grateful for what you do have, as you focus on an attitude of gratitude more good things and people attract to you and things seems to be easy and effortless...try music that lifts you up and sharing meal making etc with others, find others that are on the same path as you and forge a positive vibe connection.
I hope this has inspired you to take some small steps towards shifting your mindset and as you can see its not all about just reciting a few affirmations its really a lifestyle shift. "How you do anything is how you do everything" as one of my first teachers Wayne Dyer used to say. If you are on your journey post cancer or just wanting to get more aware of your mindset I know how challenging this can be.
I'm here to be of highest service book a 30 min free call, bring a cup of tea and lets chat about your next steps. I have so many great resources and connections you don't have to do this alone!
P.S. Check out this interview with host Veronica Parker on her "Live your Happy Now" Podcast.
Live Your Happy NOW! Conversations to open up and live an authentic, happy and fulfilled life.100 Episodes Produced by Veronica ParkerWebsite
Live Your Happy NOW podcast with Veronica Parker gives us a sacred space where we can connect and truly show up as we are. It is not about pretending to be happy all the time and hiding fears, sadness or negative thoughts. It’s about embracing it ALL. It’s learning to choose your happy even in the m… read more