Breakfast, Nutritional Supportive Recipes, Smoothies, Snacksantioxidants, carotenoids, fiber, flavonoids, ginger, kale, minerals, NOTES, phytonutrients, snack, strawberries, vegetables
I call this my "LIQUID SALAD" I have it for breakfast, an afternoon snack or a drink “on the go”. A smoothie is the perfect food to help give oneself nutrient dense fruits and vegetables filled with antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, fiber, water and phytonutrients in a fabulous drink bursting with flavour.
By using a blender to make green smoothies (aka fruit and vegetable drinks) vs. a juicer allows one to reap the health benefits of retaining the fiber vegetables and fruits have to offer. It is important to drink the smoothie right after you make it if you can!
1-Tablespoon lime juice
3-Kale leaves–variety of your choice (washed well)
3/4-cup fresh OR frozen strawberries ( ou can substitute other berries or fruit you have on hand)
small piece of fresh ginger( 1/2 inch cube)
1/2-teaspoon honey OR sweetener of choice if needed
2 ice cubes
1) Combine all ingredients into blender, adding liquid ingredients in first.
2) Blend until smooth.
3) If too sweet add a bit more lime. If not sweet enough add a bit more honey.
4) Create extra thickness by using frozen strawberries OR adding an extra cube of ice.
* Kale’s health benefits are linked to its very high concentrations of the two antioxidants–flavonoids and carotenoids.
* Scientists have identified over 40 different flavonoids (quercetin and kaempferol are among the flavinoids in kale having the highest concentration). These flavinoids have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory benefits which are believed to help avoid chronic inflammation and oxidative stress. Within the carotenoids–lutein and beta-carotene have a very high concentration in kale.
* Strawberries have a high concentration of Vitamin C and are a good source of Fiber. They have particularly high levels of polyphenol antioxidants. The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition offers an overview of experimental, clinical and epidemiological effects polyphenols have on health.
* This smoothie may help to replenish nutrients and fluids lost when undergoing chemotherapy.
I am a lover of life, an inspirateur, creatress & playful guide! I want to share the things in my daily life that excite me. With over 2 decades of experience as a entrepreneur-wellpreneur. I love sustainability, health, and following my heart!